21 Days in Pattaya in Photos

Well. I've moved to Pattaya from Bangkok. Since 1999 when God laid this city on my heart, it has been a journey back. Not an easy one... but with this incredible joy and pain for this City I am so hopeful for what He is going to do here. This is a blog of my first 21 days in this city. I am busy editing wedding pictures and serving with PSM (Pattaya Slum Ministries) so this may take a little time to fill you in with all the details. Stay tuned as this will be UPDATED!

Day 1 with Pattaya Slum Ministries (PSM). I'm serving with their amazing team for a month, while I live at the Bridge. I'm the director at the Bridge Children & Youth Resource Center, but at this point we don't have staff and I don't have permission from leadership to lead regular programs, yet. But waiting patiently...

Friends from Chiang Rai listen to the story of the Pattaya, and then bless the Bridge before they run the King's Cup Pattaya Marathon.
The night before the marathon the guys from the School of Biblical Studies and staff from YWAM Chiang Rai prayed with two of us and worshiped on the roof of the Bridge.

 Day 2 -- My Aunite Nid, takes care of all the recycling in the neighborhood where I live EVERY day! She is one of the hardest working people I know. She encourages me every day. When I am not here, she waters the plants and sweeps in front of the Bridge for me, too!

 Day 2, with Pattaya Slum Ministries, again. Three days a week we visit the kids in their slum communities, cleaning their nails, bandaging wounds, handing out simple medicine, playing games, sharing the good news of Jesus, creating a craft for them to help the truth sink in, then giving a light meal of breaded chicken and milk to the kids. This is how the react when they see us coming. As you can imagine, its a blast! 
 At the end of this lesson about how God created the World, we ran out of time due to rain, so this beautiful angel took the coloring project home while we handed out food, finished her rendition of God's creation and came back and showed us just as we were getting ready to leave. Wow, now that's dedication to what God is teaching...
Day 3 was a Wednesday. We have United Christian Ministries (UCM), a fellowship of all the Christian ministry staff, leaders, short-term workers and really anyone who has a heart to pray for the missionaries and workers in Pattaya. These two amazing girls I met 2 years ago the last time I was in Canada, when I met Miss Canada 2011, then Miss World Canada 2012, Tara Teng -- 

On the left its now, 2013.

On the right, that was then in Vancouver, BC Canada... and so is that other crazy one!
 We have UCM at Tamar Bakery, a ministry to empower women in the Truth, give them a trade/skill to help get women off the street. This is a Latte from the bakery & restaurant. It was delish!
 Then after PSM ministry that day, we had a short day because it rained, but its still so warm here, Pin and I went swimming at a private pool where our friend lives! It was so awesome -- great exercise and so fun to be with Pin. She is an awesome athlete and usually Thais don't really like swimming. I was so blessed, as I've been swimming since I was little, its life-giving to me! I had forgot. Thanks, my sister, Pin...!
 Day 4, yes, those are termites. We had them in the garden that WAS built on the 4th floor. The balcony can't contain all the water and apparently the termites were quite hungry.
When friends of the Bridge, Kevin Kennedy & his family, came to check on our water tanks, he found them. GROSS! But so glad he did!
 Day 4 was also a great meeting with the previous team that was caring for the Bridge while I was working with my previous team in Bangkok. The worship & youth leaders from Pattaya Fellowship Church, Keith and Solomon Stuart.
 Then playing baseball in the slum with PSM kids on Thursday!
After ministry, a trip to the market to grab veggies and look what we found! Japanese sushi!  

 Day 5, this Friday has been one of my favorite days so far. It started with an early morning run at the Thailand Athletic Training Center -- gorgeous! Then quiet time and going to get gorgeous flowers and trees for the Bridge.
While we were there we went a little crazy and ended up packing out the truck to bless two ministries -- PSM and the Bridge!
These brought so much life to our children's centers and to us!
 Then it was off to friends from Pattaya Fellowship Church to take engagement pictures and snap some photos of this very sweet little guy... he's got an amazing story that God is writing.
 Solomon & Nudaeng are getting married Aug 3, so we took some engagement pictures to send announcements! It was hard for them to be serious and that was awesome. So much joy! God is the redeemer...
 These feet are going to take them to amazing places, Lord we ask you to guard their steps and guide them where to go...
Jesus, you are our protector. 
 You love us more than we can even imagine.
At home at the church there is a beautiful spirit of the Lord preparing these two, they are one in Christ.
 Meanwhile back at the Bridge, there was this huge pile of garbage that the garbage men would not pick up. It even had rats living in it. After 2 hours of hauling garbage and cleaning it up, I was drenched. Pattaya is so humid!
 Nevertheless two hours later, this place outside the Bridge was taking shape!
Amazing how difficult this was alone but how I made a friend as the night progressed.
 These are some of those friends, hehe! (And one of my neighbors came by to help after the first 1 hour and 1/2)!
New plants by the door...  
The long sidewalk in front of the building.
Day 6 was Saturday at PSM, where I taught English ... 
... and gave the message out of John 15:7 Abide in Me and let My Word abide in you...
Then some of the kids heading for Hand to Hand Saturday ministry.
Day 7 Pattaya Fellowship Church
 The Word was VERY appropriate to me!
 Met a new friend at church...
 Then Weeded the Round about in front of the Bridge...

BEFORE picture

And AFTER! It took 6 hours on Sunday, and at the end a 14 year-old homeless boy name God came out of the blue and helped, then it started to POUR down rain! Guess we were done for the day...
The onlookers were impressed...
We got some dinner at Tuk Com
 Then God saw his first-ever movie in a theatre! And we met one of the Dance Dance Revolution World Champions, Chris! It was a great day, until I had to let this homeless boy go back to where he sleeps on Beach Road...

Day 8 Examining the flowers  & plants in the round about. 


 Excited for the change
 My neighbor and good friend, Jupe ("Kiss")
Day 8, still dealing with garbage. This is around the corner from the Bridge. Wow, so much garbage!
Helping the garbage guys ...
 An unwanted friend in my garden I had been in for 6 hours -- I found at least 3 of these guys.
That Monday night with the neighbors 
 Late night at my house, the Bridge
God and another homeless boy, Mac, stopped by. I hadn't seen Mac since February!
Saying good-bye! 
Day 9 Tuesday with PSM
Kids Listening to Pin teach...
Pin's awesome children's Bible in Thai, sharing on the Good Samaritan
She's telling me how to color... Kap Khun Kha! 
Praying before we serve breaded chicken sticks and milk to the kids in one of my favorite communities with PSM.
 Ending Day 9 with a farewell for Kelly
At this Restaurant
 With great Pattaya missionary friends...
It was torture as I was fasting, but I'll be back! 
The food looked GREAT and I heard it was. "I am so stuffed" was the favorite quote.
So much fun with these girls! 
Gorgeous spot on the edge of Jom Tien Beach! 
Day 10 UCM was ground shaking, breaking up hard ground in my heart. With a prayer leader named Sylvia from Brazil.
 Praying for Kelly at UCM
 Took a ride around the city, looking for the post office... before PSM. Finally, found it and turns out the letter was NOT for me! hahaha!
Wednesday, still day 10 with PS, the community listens to the story Pin was teaching, too. 
After sharing the story of the good Samaritan, we ran out of coloring sheets so we paired up. Great idea -- got to see the kids working together. They did an EXCELLENT job of sharing! 
This little guy needs some dental care and education...
Getting around. Transportation in Thailand. :0)
Day 11, I took a morning trip before going to PSM to explore Pattaya. I can handle most of Pattaya during the day. There are still things that break my heart, but it was also great seeing the beautiful sides of the God-made things of this city. These are the fishing boats at 10am. The photo is taken from a Pub on the ocean, close to Walking Street.


This my amazing gift from God for transport! I save about $6-$10 each day by having this Incredible steed!
This is a Soi (street) off the Beach Road that I had a hard time going down without praying profusely. Seeing the brokenness in the eyes of the men and women that work on this street reminds me of my own brokenness, that Jesus is restoring.

Lord, I ask you to restore Your joy in the people that work here and the people that visit it looking for self-pleasure to fill a void that only YOU can. 
Lots of activity on the beaches of Pattaya in the morning
A patio of a hotel by the beach
 You don't see that every day in the US, do you?!
I knew there where was a Lighthouse somewhere in the City of Pattaya, I just didn't know where. So I kept biking. Until all of a sudden God showed it to me. At the end of a not-well-traveled road, My Lighthouse.
And my place by the beach to have a cappuccino and celebrate life. 
Reflecting on the power of the Holy Spirit -- Wow, I am in awe of all that He has given me...

So that's only 11 days, the other 10 are coming. TO BE CONTINUED... 


MY THAI MOM -- "MAY"
Day 12 Began in Bangkok, where I got great news from my landlord, who over the last 7 months has become my Thai Mom. They want me to keep my house in Bangkok so badly, I don't have to pay rent there, for a least a year... and next August, they are building me a driveway to my house (even though I don't have a car -- yet! Maybe they know something I don't!)
 Saying good-bye to May, while I go back to Pattaya, she teared up. I love this woman and she is coming to know the amazing LOVE of God. I am so glad I get to be there to see Him heal her and work on her heart.
 I made it back to Pattaya with these incredibly BIG bags -- I should have taken pictures, of the cart we took from my neighborhood, the 2 motorcycles to the ferry, the ferry, the taxi, the bus and finally the Song Taew (truck) that brought them here to the front door of the Bridge!
I finished Day 12 in Pattaya with Doris, P'Oiy, and the Stuart family as they prepared for the wedding the next day! 
 Gorgeous flower preparation by my friend and future Lighthouse school director, Mon. 
The flower girls are always a hit of the wedding and this ONE is so adorable -- she smiles SO big every time she saw me!
The HAPPY couple at rehearsal...
Day 13, arriving at the venue -- Pattaya Fellowship Church
Putting on the ring of promise
Receiving prayer
Listening to friends dedicate a song
Its OFFICIAL: Mrs. and Mr. Solomon Stuart
Here comes the flower petals
Precious
Through the wedding, we got Thai Bibles for the Prayer ministry in Takli!
This amazing couple is showing Pattaya how to live as a family that glorifies and honors God...
Seeing Grandkids brings us so much joy! Who's happier here?! This is so ME!
My amazing friend Doris that I got to spend incredible time with who shared with me how to not deceive ourselves. Sister I am learning so much from you!
 Between Days 13 and 14 in Pattaya, I had to take a trip back to Bangkok. This is a view from the water market by my house...
I asked some friends to come with me to the market, only ONE of them looks happy about it....
The Ban NamPeung Water Market
Yes, this part of my trip home (have to take a ferry to mainland Bangkok and back) every time.
 This is really how I feel about MY island (at the Temple, 'Wat Ban Nam Peung' Dock)! I LOVE this place!
 Close to my house, looks a little like a big treehouse someone is building (down the road from the real http://www.bangkoktreehouse.com/index.php)
These 2 kids need to go back to school -- both dropped out in 9th grade. She wants to be a Thai teacher. He wants to go into the military, but both need a grade 12 education to fulfill their dreams. So I asked them to help plant in my garden and I surprised them with a portion of the money they need to go back to school, but I put it in a savings so they can go back, once they save all  of it (they need about $20 each to enrol).

You'll never guess where this Orange Juice (made in Thailand) is from [Hint, hint: cousin Brenna Duncan's new home...]

Isn't that amazing! 
My view coming home from the market Monday morning... 
 Day 14, going back to Pattaya, the tide was so low at the Chao Praya River. During rainy season, weird! 


Day 15 was a Wednesday, and if you remember UCM happens that day. This was an awesome time of praying and lifting people up.  I felt like this was the hand of God backing up these servants. Awesome DAY!
 UCM ended in prayer for one of our leaders who was receiving a blessing by this visiting doctor, who came to find Christians in this city that his church was praying for!
Someone gave this scripture for someone in the UCM group ... I could relate.
i love this picture, these twins came with the same outfits to PSM teaching and games time.  "No," I was corrected by one of the twins. "She has black shoes, I have white." And I looked down and the very bottom layer of each of their flip flops, indeed, had a different color strip around the bottom.
This was so funny. His mom wanted him to come and he saw us, the Farangs (short for Farangset = French person)
Needing some health care at PSM -- let's count...1...leg, 2...left-hand finger, 3...other left-hand finger, 4...right-hand finger, 5...?, 6...?
That night I brought up the chair I had brought back from BKK, and set up a room on the 3rd floor to be a place to have guests. I have one, can you spot her?
Day 16 we got ALL the AC units (that were able to be fixed) working properly and these are the repair guys, Jae and his assistant on the balcony doing all the work.

Cleaning filters with the toilet spray -- now i know how! Never owned an AC unit before, now I can clean it out! 
Doing more dangerous work on the Balcony -- adding "gas" to the unit.
Oh! I see how to do this now! 
 This may not look like much to others, but this was great news. That little waterfall meant the garbage in the pipe was pulled out, so the balcony could drain where the AC was! Wahooooo!
Friends from another ministry stop by! Waan & Tuu who had been parenting at the Thrive Rescue house, and now working with Tamar ministry. 
 Some of my awesome neighbors
 Some visitors from the US stop by PSM to volunteer for the week: Cory, Jacie and McKenzie with Pin. Playing games, singing songs and teaching on the life of Rahab.
 After PSM, had our first Bible Study with a HUGE vegetable tray and HOMEMADE (from a packet from the US!) Ranch Dip -- why am I fasting, again!
?
These girls are amazing -- we shared our journeys to Pattaya. I am learning so much from these women! I love you ladies!
 Day 18, Saturday -- After a crazy morning where a lady passed by the center with a huge scrape on her hand and blood flowing out, brought her in an got it cleaned up with the first AID supplies, then as I was praying for healing she fainted. Either form the sight of blood or the POWER of the Spirit, either way, it was so great to be there for her. Then went to PSM YOuth Club and got taught on the story of Jonah and how we need to be grateful and listen to God.
THEN the PSM Saturday Youth Club came to the Bridge to help clean the 1st floor...
They did windows, filled water jugs, organized the games/bookshelves, planted trees, cleaned the vacuum hose that had had a rat family living in it,  and dusted, swept, and mopped I think -- They did so much I couldn't keep track!
 So our big reward was ice cream bars from the lady walking by the Bridge. I think she was just as happy as I was to have 10 customers in ONE STOP! That's me whining in the back -- still fasting!
Having so much FUN! These kids (and leader, PIN) are awesome! 
Taking off after a RADICAL hour+ at the Bridge!
Making dinner for friends that night -- I realized that 4p, an hour early, was NOT enough time to prepare all these vegetables! 
Some of the Thai sauces: Fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, lemon juice, soy sauce, salt (no MSG), and a few other sauces I don't know the names of...
So shamelessly, i went over to my neighbor Jupe's house and asked her to help me! Then my friends called and said another friend was in labor so they couldn't make it, because they were on their way to the hospital! 
 BUT Jupe stayed and made AMAZING food!
 And the table I set sat waiting ... until Bua and her family could come. We rescheduled for Sunday, but in the end that didn't work, but we set it up again for Monday afternoon on Mother's Day.
So since my guests couldn't make it, other friends invited me to the Theppasit Night Bazaar... Such an experience, especially the Hedgehogs and 3,000 Baht poodles, with bootlegged DVD's, clothes, artwork and fruit smoothies. With my new friend Megan!

SUNDAY
Day 19, after Pattaya Fellowship Church and a GREAT teaching by Keith on GRATITUDE, it was awesome to see it lived out by watching Auntie repair one of the little guys shoes that lives with their family. She used a regular NEEDLE and THREAD.
 Got a ride home home after biking 40 min TO church and my driver, Solomon took me to his favorite flower/plant shop -- which JUST SO HAPPENED to be MINE, too!
This is one tree plant -- with 5 colors on it! AMAZING THAILAND! 
Then we got to see a Royal Procession stop Sunday afternoon traffic on a MAJOR thoroughfare in Pattaya -- it was SO crazy! The VIDEO will follow, soon (I hope!)

Neighbors came over that afternoon and were amazing picker-upers!
This little guy treated this doll with such care.
At the end of the night we sat on the slide to take a load of pictures, here's one!
Then I went out to visit the neighbors -- this is Nong with her stylish clothing shop (pictured behind). She is 3 doors down from us. She is celebrating Mothers Day with family from out-of-town.
Next to us is this "Men's Only" massage parlor. Pray for my friends Ti, Ba, Na, Bam, and Ta to know the truth about their purpose.
One of my friends, he treats me like a sister and we chat at least once a day about the love of God.
I forgot about a late-night Badminton game my friend Thip had invited me to. A fun, but serious game between a dog food sales rep, a vet, a couple students, a church director and a missionary. All these guys work during the day -- so this is how to get the work-out in at night. AND trust me, its REALLY a work out! 
Almost there, DAY 20! Mother's DAY, August 12 in Thailand. After calling my both my moms--Thai and American, this is the first thing that greeted me when I opened my door! Blessing me on Mother's Day, too.
 Going out in that afternoon, saw my friend's sister. She was working her 12 hour-shift, 7 day-a-week shift at a swimsuit shop on Walking Street. With a HUGE smile on her face! #thaisworkhard
Then I got to head to MY Lighthouse for a Coffee... getting quiet time before my friends came over for Mother's Day! BUT I forgot to bring any money to pay for my order, but the owner was so Thai. She knew me, so I got to stop back by later on in the day, without a specific time or leaving my number... "Just come back later" she said, with a big smile on her face.
What a way to spend time with the Father...
 Some of my friends that stopped by,  so much fun! Her 3 year-old son is my nephew!
Then I got to bless 4 other moms with an awesome potted plant -- they felt so honored.

He is SOOO my nephew! 




The door was open, so friends & neighbors just kept stopping by! So FUN!
That evening on my way out to the Lighthouse to pay for my coffee, I had to pass walking street and all the Soi's in between... gave me a lot of time to pray.
Found places of peace, so quiet and yet so close to downtown...







After the Parade down Walking Street this is where the celebration of Mother's Day was held. http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/98759/pattaya-celebrates-mothers-day/
That's the King of Thailand's wife --  Queen Sirikit (Thaiสิริกิติ์Thai pronunciation: [sìrìkìt]) 
She was born 12 August 1932 as Mom Rajawongse Sirikit Kittiyakara is the queen consort of Bhumibol Adulyadej, King (Rama IX) of Thailand. [wikipedia]

WELL HERE IT IS... that day you've all been waiting for,   DAY 21! In the Tuesday community -- i love all this 'house' says even from outside the front door!


"1....2....3....4.... I declare a thumb war "-- without the 1, 2, 3, 4 or the quote -- so really just thumb wrestling with Lek!
Bath time, during the kids program?!?
I guess he really needed it!
So fun!
This day the kids were so huggie in this community! Man, its gonna be hard to leave them! 

So y'all, that ends the first 21 days living in Pattaya. Its been an adventure loving God, loving my neighbor and learning to be patient with His timing. Can't wait to see what He has in store, next....
!


Comments