Does a ‘Morning off’ for a missionary really mean you don’t do everything?


I can’t stop loving people, teaching and crying out for His truth to be known  ... 

I’m learning not to consider this a position, but a way of living. A way of thinking differently about myself and my purpose in this world. Acts 20:24 summarizes it... 

But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesusthe work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.

Most days I stand in awe of what God reveals to me. And today is one of those days. A morning off. But up at 7a anyway. Doing laundry from a past busy week and getting ready for another one, that was my plan. Ironically, I was really excited to do it. I love having a plan and accomplishing that plan! 

Living where I live, having a washing machine is a rarity and I fit that same profile, too. So I gathered up the sheets & douvet cover, from my amazing guest last week (Jessica Mock from Pattaya House of Prayer), my well-dirtied clothes, and throw rugs and I walked through the strategic path in my little Thai community, headed to the little laundry outside a neighbor's house about a block from my community. 

First revelation, it was a surprisingly quiet morning in my neighborhood for a typical Monday. Usually the kids, caregivers and parents are all a bustle to get the kids off to school, so dogs are barking and the wood factory next to my house is already started for the day by 7a. But not today. 

Leaving my little house, I only saw 2 kids getting ready for school, one being my little buddy that, at 9 years old, is already a trophy-winning Muay Thai boxer. ‘James’ with his step-grandma at her little stand the sells chips, drinks and fruits in his all white uniform, which I discovered today is the Monday uniform to honor the monks. The other student I saw preparing for school was one of my 12 year-old neighbors.  


Amy & 'James' watching a video of one of his muay Thai competitions when he was 7yrs old! 


‘Gal’ lives with her grandma. I’ve been here over a month and still never seen either of her parents. Second revelation, that’s a tough one for Thai kids here. 

I was thinking about that a lot today. How close Thai children are to their grandparents, who typically raise them, but yet how difficult it is to have closeness to their parents that they hardly see.

Most parents are working to help support their kids, but there is just something to be said about receiving a HUG and getting tucked in at night by your mom and dad. Even if they are providing for your food to eat, you don’t usually see that part of the parent responsibly when your the young child. Something I am realizing that I was blessed to have but that I took for granted as a child. 

Personal revelation through that second revelation, there was a lot of love in my house, in the beginning. My mom worked long days from the time I can remember until I was about 10 years old, but she still tucked me in and kissed me goodnight night. Or at least she tried. 

I was pretty independent (a.k.a. stubborn!) and would push her away, or tell her I could do it myself. But even now reflecting back, I realize how important it was to who I am today to sense that intimacy with my mom, who raised me.

Tonight I was subtly exposed to how much true intimacy is missing here compared with emotionally healthy children in a loving family. After eating a second dinner with my neighbors (of some very yucky 'Buu' [ปู Thai-small crabs]), I had another 'wake-up' moment about Thailand. Here are some pictures, and below is the story:


I had never seen this video, until I went to a neighbors house


Now and Two's TV
Everyone's got Gangnam style! 
My neighbors invited me over for dinner... ปู 'Buu'

I HAD to eat it! 

These neighbors are the ones I get to spend a lot of time with after they moved 2 houses closer to me 2 weeks ago, I was leaving their house to come to my house and said to ‘Now,’ their son & ‘Two,’ their daughter, “You forgot something... my hug!” After dancing Gangnam-Style with them and hanging out with them this weekend, I thought they would understand me. Even their dad and step-mom giggled a little and tried to clarify my Thai, as the kids both did not seem to get my funniness. Even as I reached my arms out in the typical universal sign language for ‘give me a hug,’ both of them just stood limp and not really knowing what to do as grabbed them and lovingly side-squeezed them. 

Compared to the kids I have been working with in our ministry for 3 years, just a few districts over, and the missionary family’s kids I work with, both groups now hug so readily and receive them so willingly, yet these 2 kids were motion-less pint-sized mannequins. I am gently reminded that I don’t have to be a rocket scientist to be a missionary, maybe my role here is to just show kids HOW MUCH THEY ARE LOVED. That’s yet another revelation, loving the kids here makes a difference.

I know that this is about transforming mindsets, so they know how valuable they are, and how their Creator-God has a special plan for their lives and has already, in fact, made a way for them to have true intimacy with their Heavenly Father. 

That makes a BIG difference. 

That Jesus waits for them, knows them, and loves them. Jesus knows their every need. 

So back to my morning off and my revelations. 

I inspired a semi-reluctant 18 year-old dropout who helps care for his cousins to support his family & his grandma by getting the extensive bags of recycling away from my house. 

‘Song’ and I loaded up a 'rot ken' (cart) and we took the recycling down the street and around the corner. He saw how easy it was, got to hear from the family that takes the recycling how critical it is for the environment, made 83 Baht and I got to hear his desires for the future. 

He shared his dreams and I saw his attitude change ... He was also raised by his grandma, and left school after 6th grade, unfortunately very typical here, although the government requirement is 9th grade. 'Song' wants to be a teacher. He loves children and wants them to know English and Chinese, although he doesn't know either himself. 

Then I got to see a huge smile as I gave a bottle of detergent to my neighbor. 

Cleaned house, read and then headed out on my bike, that needed repair on the seat. I dropped it off with my now eager bike guy that NEVER used to talk to me, or smile -- now I get at least a few words out of him and he tries to hold back the smiles as I crack jokes with him every time I have a bike issue -- which I have a LOT! 

Listening to people is my favorite, sometimes I don't always know the right question to ask them. It's always a fun conversation with the motorcycle driver I ride with to the ferry, and today I sensed the Lord prompting me to ask her about her choice of this career. She perked up and was very proud to tell me about how she chose to be a ‘motorcy rap jang.’  

On my way to the ARK Office, I made a call to confirm my plans for Wednesday, when I get to go to Pattaya for the day. My plans were confirmed, I get to meet with Angela Cheng, from Pattaya Slum Ministries, and  Dana Bruxvoort after UCM (United Christian Ministries in Pattaya. I am so blessed by a Wednesday morning-time of Worship with all the ministries in Pattaya. This Wednesday I was granted permission to go from my leaders in Bangkok!  

Malina Endlund sharing in BKK about new visions
After reaching the office, we had a special speaker from Extreme Prophetic come and share on Trafficking. Malina Endlund was great to talk with, for her ideas and advice on what is next for the Bridge in Pattaya and the Lighthouse Community School! 

As I am reflecting on this season since the return from Chiang Mai, realizing how God wants to put us in families, I also realize how much I miss Ty King, my pastor's wife from ECB -- she is my Prayer warrior! And how blessed I am for Marcia's advice from Bethel Church in Richland, WA in the USA. Her life and her wisdom weekly are so inspiring.

IF you could change the world, where would you start? Remember Jesus started in a stable with a teenage mom...



Comments