What's in a name? Everything!

What's so incredible is right now I am listening to this song. Desert song. about what happens in the Desert reading about the names of the Lord...

ADONAI

(ad-o-noy')

Lord, Master
Use in the Bible: In the Old Testament Adonai occurs 434 times. There are heavy uses of Adonai in Isaiah (e.g., Adonai Jehovah). It occurs 200 times in Ezekiel alone and appears 11 times in Daniel Chapter 9. Adonai is first used in Gen 15:2.

Meaning and Derivation: Adonai is the verbal parallel to Yahweh and Jehovah. Adonai is plural; the singular is adon. In reference to God the plural Adonai is used. When the singular adon is used, it usually refers to a human lord. Adon is used 215 times to refer to men. Occasionally in Scripture and predominantly in the Psalms, the singular adon is used to refer to God as well (cf. Exd 34:23). To avoid contravening the commandment "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain" (Exd 20:7), sometimes Adonai was used as a substitute for Yahweh (YHWH). Adonai can be translated literally as, "my lords' " (both plural and possessive).

Further references of the name Adonai in the Old Testament: Complete list available here.

Thinking about this position of God in my life, I am lead to ask the question: Is Jesus the Lord of my Life? Am I allowing Him and His word to have authority over my thoughts and my actions?

I am reminded of how we interpret what God's word says, and I found this story:

A mother and her young son returned from the grocery store and began putting away the groceries. The boy opened the box of animal crackers and spread them all over the table. "What are you doing?" his mother asked. "The box says not to eat them if the seal is broken" the boy explained. "I'm looking for the seal."

Sometimes we look at God's Word like that, we take it very literally, open to our limited interpration of what we understand. Then we end up interpreting it as "Don't do this, Don't do that..." Probably you have an idea of what I mean when you meet, what I'll call, a 'Black & White Christian.' One with very little room for GRACE in their life, or in others' lives.

I have thought of myelf like that.

Recognition is the first step to recovery, though, right?!?

So I am learning to change. So, allowing God to be Master of my Life also allows me to ask the Holy Spirit to help me study and interpret the Word of God. Understand the context, who the people are God is addressing and what message He is trying to give. Plus the critical point, what is God communicating to me, now.

A few friends of mine did the BCC (Bible Core Course--3 months) and the SBS (School of Biblical Studies--9 months) and there they study the Bible for a "change in their lives." They call it Inductive Bible study and the tools they learn are organized in 3 categories: Observation, Interpretation, & Application method.

I am very naive in all of this but it intrigues me so much when I understood a fraction of what they were studying. When I really read the Word, ask questions and let the Holy Spirit in, it is perfect, it gives me perfect peace, life makes sense. Even tragedies, even horrific things that have happened.

When I ask God, "Why?", I continually come back to the truth that God gave us authority, that we have free will and that He is good. [Period]

God is good.

The only next question to Him is, now that I have been made aware of these things, is to ask God: "Help me, how am I to respond?"

Comments