Does this story have to end this way...? There is HOPE.

I can't think about anything else until I share this story...

It's a sad story--BUT there is hope.

Watanaa, left, is 44 years old, no children, not married


This is Watanaa. I met her today. She is 44 & homeless.

Nang feeding her 8 month-old, Go Gai
Typically, I work with children at risk in Bangkok, but the last few weeks the Lord has been pushing me into new territory on the streets of downtown Bangkok.

Today, I had felt challenged to finish some new things He had stirred in me a few weeks ago. I went trying to find a Thai homeless mother I had met on Saturday, three weeks prior: her name is Nang, and she has 8 month old baby, Go Gai. I had met them on Sukhumvit, Soi 23. This is a picture I took of her 3 weeks ago, pray that she and her baby are safe.

Today, however, things were different. I could not find Nang. Today, I met Watanaa instead.

Watanaa wasn't begging. She was was just sitting next to her black garbage bag full of things at Soi 25. We began to chat about her life.

She showed me the stuff she found in the garbage and that she now sold as her means of income. She told me about her father who had died, and her mom and younger sister that she hadn't seen in a really long time.

I heard her story.

I saw her determination to change.

Her eyes were a deep beautiful dark color, but there was deep hurt I could not ignore.

I asked her, if she could work, would she want to. She said she would like a job, but she needs a place to live. What she shared most, though, was her deep desire for a shower. She had worn the same clothes for months. She was embarrassed about her odor. She said anytime she goes on the bus she is embarrassed because she smells. She really wanted to shower. I told her I had a friend who may be able to help.

I called a friend named Junkiat. He was a friend that Pat from YWAM Thailand and John from Step Ahead had recommended. I had called him a few weeks back about the woman and her baby that I had met. He spoke Thai and English very well. I explained who I was and the situation I had found. I was overjoyed when he said his home, Lydia House, could help her and give her a place to stay. I told her they could help and we would meet them together.

She began crying.

I put my arm on her shoulder and I told her how much she is loved. That the LORD wanted to give her a home. She continued to cry and I did too.

We worked out to meet Junkiat at 6p. It was only 3:45p. So, I asked Wantanaa if she wanted to get some food with me. She told me she didn't have any money. I told her I would get it and we could eat some food together. She hesitated, saying she smelled but said she would wait for me here at the corner where I met her.

I hesitated leaving. I felt like I should do something. I felt something major was happening but I didn't know what to do for 1 hr 15 min.

I would be back to meet her at 5p, telling her I was going to get food and come back.

As I walked away, it started to rain.

I bought 2 umbrellas, and started to walk back to share with her, but wanted to find food first.

I got distracted in my thoughts, not knowing what to do, feeling confused. Wanting to help her, but not knowing what exactly she needed. I went to Newsong church, close to Soi 39, found Nok there and asked for prayer. I arrived to meet Watanaa at 5:10p.

She was gone.

I was 10 min late. She wasn't at Sukuhmvit Soi 25. I asked around but could not find her. I found her about 10 minutes later, under BTS on the bridge she told me she sleeps on when it rains. I woke her.

She looked different, she was not the confident person I had met an hour earlier.
She looked different.

She was not the confident, encouraged person I had talked to and hour ago. She took the food but when I said we had to go meet my friend, said she did not want to go.

I said, "Watanna, you can have a place to stay and a shower. The home is a good place, they are nice people."

She waved me off, closed her eyes and took the food under her dirty, tatooed had. She did not want to get help with housing or take a shower. She waved me off and went back to sleep...she changed her mind, I guess.

I was speechless.

I called Junkiat back, and apologized. He says this happens. He sees it often. I had not seen it. 

I know this battle is not against people, I know there was something ELSE going on here. She wants and needs help. 

I text messaged friends:  {Asking for prayer: i was going w/a homeless lady on BTS to meet a leader from Lydia house, but I went to meet back w/her & she had changed her mind. Pray for her journey, please. Thx Amy}

I'll say it again. I KNOW this battle is NOT against people. I know there was something ELSE going on here. She wants and needs help. 

That's why I am writing this blog. I added a picture and the story on facebook.

A friend, from ARK International, has worked with homeless for years on skid row, said she has seen this before. It sounds like drugs. I think there is truth to this...

Under the BTS on "her" bridge
I know it's sad, but its a reality. I feel like there is a valley before the mountain. BUT this climber needs prayer, she needs help up! Please pray.


Please pray for Wantanaa.

Comments