SAN FRANCISCO, an unplanned STOP, and GREAT times!


In Mission in San Fran, you see much need...

Today, I ended up in downtown San Francisco. How random is that?

It about choices, and apparently its a choice I made 3 months ago when I booked my ticket that I had forgotten about.

As I was getting my flight in PDX (Portland, OR) after my 6 weeks in the USA & Canada, getting ready to go (ultimately) to Bangkok, the beautifully sweet gal at the check-in counter at United Airlines said there was a problem...

She asked, her nose buried behind the computer, “What time is your flight to Bangkok?”

“11:30pm,” I said, in my very friendly but matter-of-fact tone, as I had checked it many times in the last 3 days.

“Well, the flight says here, its tomorrow morning at 11:30AM, not tonight,” she shared sincerely.

Then it gets funnier ... for a minute. She couldn’t check my enormous-too-much-of-a-pain-to-carry bags all the way through to Bangkok because I had more than an 8-hour layover.

Mission St & 24th -- BART
“What?!?” I asked.

I wrinkled my face, looking at my brother and sister standing off to the side on the Monday evening at the nearly empty airline counter. They were involved in their own side conversation, laughing at wise cracks my sister was telling about my chattiness to the attendant. As they smiled at me, I began to laugh out loud in a weird eerie way, so they stopped smiling.

I was thinking, ‘What was I going to do for 12 hrs in San Francisco?’

My sister replied, after I told her the not-so-funny news, “Call someone,”  She smiled. “You have friends everywhere.”

I made a decision on the flight that I would get a hotel, SOMEWHERE CHEAP, but close to the airport. Possible, hmm?!? Not when I arrived. Nothing. Nothing, was available for the airline reduced rate.

Downtown in Traffic, this was a fun truck!
As back up, my next idea: Facebook. Found all my great and crazy San Francisco friends and send a message. Here’s that message:

Amy (Me)
Report · 9:40pm
Hey Crazy San Fran friends! This is Amy, yes, i know its been a LONG time... sorry about my slowness! But I'm in San Fran for 12 hrs! I'm in SF, are you here?!? I'm going back to Thailand, but misread my ticket! Tmrw at 11:30a, not tonight!!! haha!

I don't have a phone but I can call you! If you are around!!!

Message if you know the haps tonight or tmrw morning! Amy

Rose & Liz, replied:
Report · 9:54pm
Arrived Lombard ST, my greeter: ROSE!!!
Come over!! Bachelorette at my house tonight. Rose is here too. You can stay here if you need a place to stay too! I'm at (phone #).

Jen, replied:
Report · 10:01pm
Hey Amy! I'm busy tonight but I'm happy to buy you breakfast if you're around my hood tomorrow morning. I live across from the ball park (South Beach/Soma). Meetings start at 11:15am so I'm open until then. Let me know, (phone #).

Kelsee, replied:
Report · 10:17pm
Amy I wish I was in the city! I'm in Texas right now! Enjoy your short stay
Liz & Amy: Haven't seen each other in 5+yrs!

Out the window of the BART on Tuesday morning...
Those were the replies last night. Needless to say, it wasn't a quiet night. After calling back Rose & Liz, I ended up taking the BART, San Fran subway, downtown, then a managed to barely survive a taxi ride from a rather irate middle eastern man, who said he felt so honored to have a US passport, but talked about the conflict all around the world as though war would outbreak tomorrow! I prayed a lot. And talked to him about how important people are, no matter where they came from.

I DID finally make it to my destination on Lombard, just a block from the windiest street, and hung out with great friends, eating savory hummus and fresh strawberries.

Sitting in SFO I am reflecting on the incredible 6 weeks in the US and Canada. Think I need a vacation from my vacation. Now, sitting on the aircraft, waiting to go to to Asia...

Comments