Its Gonna Look Like Something Else...

"When the church begins to walk in the gifts the Lord has given them we are going to see something extraordinary happen -- and its not going to look like what we thought." -- Kelly Chisholm


I am able to see the church working as I am here in Perth on a pretty regular basis. Being at YWAM is amazing! We have people come in from all around the world and Sundays are a day when we have the freedom to go to the church where we feel called to. This week I saw an amazing movement to fight for freedom for the 27 million people in slavery today called NOT FOR SALE share their picture of how the church can respond to the reality of modern day slavery and human trafficking. Today I went to Thai Community Church, meeting once a month. The Holy Spirit moved when the Pastor Warong talked about the presence of God is always there, in the desert or by the river...


I really wanted to communicate, however, the message from "Gifted to Serve," the topic Kelly Chisholm spoke on last week. Its from a series called Gifted and Powered to Serve -- the theme for Riverview Church for the month. I had a chance to go last weekend. And LOVED it.

God has given us each gifts. They have meaning and they are each important. They can be leadership, mercy, giving...see Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, and Ephesians 4 for lists of gifts. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. (I Corinthians 12:27) They are things that are within us that supercede us. They are gifts from God that He never takes back. Sometimes we even get tired of them, "oh this mercy stuff -- I'm tired out..." Or we try to avoid them, but then that gift keeps coming forth. There are gifts that are just in us. They're not about us.

Kelly said: "I serve the gift-giver." The Word of God says: ... anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. (Hebrews 11:6) There is a reward, He is a gift-giver. We are created but the Lord to love Him and love others. One of the ways we can do that is to serve them.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. (I Corinthians 12:27)

Eric Little, the real-life character from Chariots of Fire, who has a gift of speed says: "When I run I feel God's pleasure..."
The gifts look like all kinds of different things. BUT there is no meaning if I am not connected to the gift-giver...my realtionship, my peace, my strength, my purpose, everything comes from my relationship to Jesus. No matter what I had, have or what is coming to me, nothing compares to this deep friendship with the Lord.

This gives such an incredible picture in Philippians 3:7-10 of the depth of that relationship: But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ...

There is nothing deeper that fills my soul than knowing Christ...its what all of me cries out for, its what makes everything else have meaning, its the deepest need of our hearts -- we were created for that relationship.

Lord: I am ever-seeking, Father, to know You, and know all that You have for me. I desire this because I want to walk in the fullness of this relationship so that I can be a blessing to others. I don't deserve all that you have given me, but by Your grace I have been given everything. Lord help me walk in these gifts and be a good steward of everything you have given me. But, Yes, Lord, the most amazing gift You gave me is Jesus and because of His gift on the cross, that's why that grace exists. Then You sent the Holy Spirit, the comforter to be my best friend. Always there, always on guard. Wow, God -- I keep thinking: why me? And then I keep coming back to the reason. These gifts were meant to be given away. And it always comes back to the reason. Its YOU. To have this realationship with You...and You will always ourgive me. Lord Jesus, you fill every need...Thank You. I love you.

Comments