Making a Difference...one person at a time...

She told me she turns 16 this month, she told me they won't let her go because she has no where to go home to if she left, she told me she wants out...I told her--in the middle of the upstairs cell block for girls, inside a air-conditioned and heated building, with the trampoline, basketball and volleyball courts outside--that she is loved more than she can imagine, and she is safe in this place, for now. Then I hugged her and I didn't want to let go. But I know the Lord wouldn't.

Every week my Children at Risk school team goes to the detention centre in Perth and spends time showing the girls the love of Jesus. Most of the time they love it. BUT sometimes they don't--no matter how many times you come back, no matter how hard you pray for them. They don't trust many people. But I pray they know we will never give up on them. 

How do you feel about this generation? This generation has peers but no heroes. They are not apathetic--there is anger and fear on their surface, however, because they are supposed to have authority that would protect and love them and DIDN'T. We have to give them a bridge to prove their significance--they want to make a difference in the world. They need an outlet to show it to you and to themselves...

Someone this Tuesday called us 'brave' as our team walked into our weekly visit, but I seldom feel that way. But after that visit with the girls I was humbled. The Lord loves these girls more than we can imagine, and He showed it. 

I felt God's love for them and I was able to tell that 15 year-old girl about that true LOVE He has for her... 

Our goal is that we would come back one week and the centre would be empty--not because we don't love the girls, but because we love them so much. They need to learn to make choices. I want to teach them that their choices have consequences. And they CAN choose the right way. They need help. They need the Holy Spirit. 

Please pray for these girls to know Him. Pray for our lesson next week, as I really feel prompted to tell the story of Queen Esther and not sure exactly how...

Only by God's grace--Amy from America, living in Thailand, training in Australia...

Comments